Friday, April 1, 2011

Very Nearly Mine

                              You were.
Very nearly mine.
Nine months,
Of waiting,
Anticipating,
Expecting.
While everyday
this womb
And this heart
Swelled up
With my LOVE for you
And just when I was ready
To burst
With joy at your arrival
You were still.
And there’s this deflated body
With traces that you were here
But my arms are empty
And my heart is hollow
You were
Very nearly mine.


Dearest Friend,
I could not get you or the pain you must be feeling out of my head today. My heart aches for you. I am not good with condolences, so instead I wrote this poem.

6 comments:

Mama Bear said...

My heart breaks for this mother. I can not imagine the pain of stillbirth. Please let her know she is in our prayers.

AC said...

Thank you so much for your prayers for my dear friend, I know God will get them. It breaks my heart too.

Linda May said...

That is so sad. I hope your friend moves on to another pregnancy and a healthy baby next time.

Mr. Walker said...

A powerful poem, restrained in its construction but sweeping in its emotion. Very moving, so sorry to hear that it's true. My prayers as well for your friend.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Mr. Walker...powerfully written! Wrought with emotion. Well done. (And...I've added my prayer to the others'.)

~Paula

gabrielle said...

To have known such deep love and loss takes us to the boundaries of human experience. Thanks for writing about it with such clarity and compassion.