Friday, May 6, 2011

The Art of Motherhood

This is a tough one to follow, Lisa-Jo over at The Gypsy Mama got it right on the spot on the things motherhood should come with. Nevertheless I will give it a try.

{start}

Motherhood should come with paper towels, a multi-purpose cleaner, and a camera, because it is a great big beautiful mess. You'll want to take a picture and blow it up and hang it in your heart forever because motherhood has such beautiful hues and contrasts . From the beginning, giving birth is beautifully messy; blood, amniotic fluid, sweat, pain, grunts, joy, tears, and laughter, where else can such contrasts combine to such a lovely outcome? The dark colors of sleepless nights are mixed with the brilliant smiles and baby coos and together they make beautiful colors like those of  sunsets, in which the darks accentuate the beauty of the resplandor of the sun. And like a painter of beautiful art, you will get dirty. You will have the splatter of motherhood all over you quite literally sometimes; baby spit-up, drool, buggers, milk, food and the dark circles under the eyes. But all those darks (per se) accentuate the light in motherhood, because it is such a selfless kinda of love that like a work of art, it is just priceless.

{stop}

6 comments:

JavaMama said...

Ha! That is the truth! Messy is good!

Amy W Thornton said...

So much truth here! Motherhood is a great big beautiful mess. Which I guess just goes perfectly with the mess that I am most of the time. What a great way to think about motherhood - the spatters of paint that an artist inevitably gets on her when creating. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading them! Smiles -

Heather Mattern said...

"Motherhood should come with paper towels, a multi-purpose cleaner, and a camera, because it is a great big beautiful mess." Oh how I love this!! You are so right!

Jeniffer said...

This is so beautiful! I love your metaphor of a painting...because motherhood truly is a masterpiece. Just beautiful! :)

Caroline said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous writing. (Catching up from the last Five Minute Friday!)

Chantalle said...

"Together they make beautiful colors like those of sunsets, in which the darks accentuate the beauty of the resplandor of the sun." Beautifully written!