My mom used to remind me of this all the time when I was a teenager. Everytime I stayed out late either studying or at my best friends house. Everytime one of my guy friends gave me a ride home, regardless that they where only friends. I always waved her off, mainly because my conscience was clear. I would always say, "Y a mi que me importa que va a decir la gente, la gente no me mantiene." That roughly means, "Why should I care what people will say, they're not feeding me.
I was a free spirit, I stayed out too late sometimes but mostly I was a good kid. Appearances meant nothing to me. One time my mom was livid over a comment someone made about me being too wild. She was so mad, not at me, but for me. I had to explain that no matter what we do, we can't please everyone. There is no point on wasting energy on trying to please everyone. We just have to pick the ones that matter or we will never be happy. I care about what my family will think, that's about it. I can't sacrifice my happiness just to please everyone, when most of everyone won't sacrifice a thing for me.
Years later, my mom now will mockingly says "que va decir la gente." She has thrown appearances into the air. She strongly believes that the only person you have to answer to is your conscience and God. She is now openly silly, she laughs too loudly with her friends, and will dance when there's no music. Wise souls behave like children, because the know something. Yes, they do.

1 comment:
Love this post! My in-laws live with us and their faces often say, que va a decir la gente? But they, too, have realized that just really don't much care! God and family...in that order. What else is there?
Post a Comment